Thursday 19 September 2013

Title and reasons

 Yŏng Yuăn Mummy And Daddy

I have decided to call it Yŏng Yuăn Mummy And Daddy; the term "yŏngyuăn" in Mandarin Chinese means "Forever" in English. I chose to have half of my title in the Chinese language because I thought it was very fitting with what culture I am focusing on. So the title would mean "Forever Mummy And Daddy", I chose to call it this because when me and my brothers were adopted, our social worker called the new parents our "Forever Mummy And Daddy who will love you forever"



This title also reflects on how hurt a young child can feel; particularly if they have been through multiple unsuccessful placements, which can lead to having early attachment issues. Personally, I found that I was constantly rejecting my (adoptive) parents’ attempts to bond with us when we were young children. This was because after several different foster situations I had quickly learnt that we were probably not going to be with the new ones for very long, so there was no point in bonding with them. I thought that as soon as I did, we’d be moved again and the whole scenario would repeat itself. As a result of this it took me a very long time to trust anybody other than my brothers, who had both experienced what I had experienced. So I feel that if young adoptees knew that their adoptive parents were permanent, they will not cast-off feelings like I had.

No comments:

Post a Comment