Thursday 19 September 2013

A2 Production Idea

Documentary on Chinese-British Adoptees


I have decided to do the opening of a documentary focussing on the importance having a loving family despite not being biologically related and how this can have an effect on how children view themselves when being questioned by others as to where they come from.
As I have had first-hand experience on this matter, being adopted by a white couple, I find it very personal and I understand that it is a very delicate subject but I know that many teenagers actually feel very comfortable talking about it.


The documentary will predominantly follow the opinions of teenage girls, as young adults are more likely to find a clearer way of expressing their feelings than young children would; they are mainly girls, which follows from China’s “One Child Policy” whereby it was mainly girls who were given up and the boys were kept. However, I understand that this does not mean that no boys were given up for adoption, which is why I will also include a teenage boy. Although my main focus is on teenage girls’ perspectives on the matter, I would also like to include the idea of a whole family.


I am planning to include some pieces of footage from an annual reunion with Children Adopted from China (CACH), which is a support group for families in the United Kingdom who have adopted children from China, are in the process of adopting or just thinking about an international adoption from China. This organisation currently includes around 1000 families. The reunion event is traditionally a weekend spent at a major UK hotel. Entertainments are typically with a Chinese theme, involving workshops and lectures on adoption and cultural issues, and activities for the children. There is also always a lion dance which I will include.
Also, I might include some clips from a general cultural occasion, like the Mid-Autumn (Moon) Festival- Which is considered as one of the most important holiday traditions

I want viewers to have an idea of what it is like to be at these events and grasp the concept of living with two different cultures.


No comments:

Post a Comment